Saturday, March 21, 2020

Baby + Mama Must Haves

Blogging the other day sort of sparked something in me. (lol) It's been a few months since I've sat down to write a blog post but, after sharing my collab with Pink Blush Maternity, it made me realize how much I've missed it! So, with our due date for baby number five QUICKLY approaching, I thought it may be a good idea to share some of the baby items that we have come to love over the years. And a few new things that I've heard great things about and am so excited to try! So, without further ado, here we go!

|FOR BABY |
Gentle, Natural Baby Wash


I'm big on watching what we use with our littles, so something gentle, natural and soothing is key. The Honest Company has so many wonderful products and their shampoo + body wash is no different. I love that this one is lavender scented so it's nice and calming and will help little ones feel at ease and comforted.

Blooming Bath Lotus (Gray/Dark Gray)



We've only ever tried the hard shell baby tubs in the past and, while they serve their purpose in propping baby up when they're too young to do so themselves, they've never made for a super enjoyable bathtime experience. I've heard such great reviews about these Blooming Baths and I can't wait to try it out for our sweet new babe! (Thanks Auntie Alexis!)

Soft, Quality Hooded Towels



I love hooded towels for a fresh new babe, and even as they begin to grow. They keep them all snug and warm and, if it's good quality, will last you a few years (and babies) at least. I found these on amazon and I love that they're eco-friendly as well as a good size so baby will be able to use them for a long while.

Bamboo Wash Cloths



Baby wash cloths are a must and when they're made of a natural fiber, like Bamboo, that's even better. I love to make my own wipe solution and use it with old washcloths for baby wipes, instead of buying disposable wipes. I began doing this when my firstborn was just tiny as he had a rash that just would not go away. This method is so much gentler on baby's tender skin and is money saving as you just toss the used wipes into a wet bag and wash them on laundry day. For this reason, I also like to have some good quality wash cloths to use for baby during bath time and these from Sweet Child are going to be perfect for that! Soft, gentle and organic, the perfect combination.

Swaddles



All of my babies have loved being swaddled since the beginning. So, a nice, soft swaddle blanket is a must. I like to keep a few of these on hand and clean so they are easily accessible in case another gets dirty or needs changed out. I love the soft, calming color hues of this set I found on Amazon.

Bandana Drool Bibs



Tyler was my first baby to use bandana drool bibs with and I can't believe I never tried them before. They're amazing for soaking in all that drool and keeping baby's clothes nice and dry while also looking super cute. These from Parker Baby are just too adorable and would make a great staple for any mama to be.

Pocket Bibs



Pocket bibs have been a thing for quite a while so we've used them with all except our oldest. And, let me tell you, they are a must as baby gets old enough start trying out foods and then moves into self-feeding as well! They're such a great, no-hassle way to keep feeding stress free and easy. These are also a great neutral color, which I love as well. And the fact that they're made of waterproof BPA free silicone makes them so easy to clean, another win!

Diaper Pail Deodorizers



A diaper pail is a must to keep your home from taking on that unflattering scent of used diapers. But, even more so is an effective deodorizer. These from Green Piece look perfect. They're natural so they won't be seeping any harsh or damaging chemicals into your home or baby's room and they seem like they would be easy to use no matter what brand or style of pail that you have.

White Cotton Onesies/Sleepers

Hudson Baby Unisex Baby Long Sleeve Cotton Bodysuits

Those first few weeks with baby are an intense and precious time. You're constantly worried about they're schedule, they're eating habits, diaper changes, the list goes on. One thing I just don't care to worry about is baby's wardrobe. Baby's first outfit is always a very special thing but, beyond that, when you're simply resting, feeding, snuggling and trying to recover, all you really need is a comfy set of white cotton onesies. They're cozy for baby, they're easy to switch out and they even easier to clean (hello bleach). We've always co-slept with all of our babies so these are perfect for keeping them from getting too warm as well. I truly stick to these the majority of the time in those first few weeks with a new babe.

Muslin Burp Cloths



Muslin burp cloths are another staple in the baby days/months. I love these for the obvious (burping), but also for nursing and just using as a soft layer when snuggling. They're super absorbent, make a great buffer for when baby is nursing and don't take up too much space in your diaper bag so you can pack as many around as you feel you need.

| FOR MAMA |

Haakaa Manual Breast Pump



The Haakaa manual breast pump is something I've always wanted to try. Not necessarily for pumping, but for when baby is nursing on one side, I can save the milk that "lets down" on the other. I think this is ingenious and such a must have, especially for mamas who plan to stock pile milk for later use (i.e. bottle feeding, when you're ready to make baby food or even donation to a milk bank)

A Baby Wrap or Ring Sling Carrier



I never wrapped my babies until my Tyler was born. I had never even heard of it. I'd seen the carriers you buckle around you but, nothing like these. After trying it when he was just a few days old, I knew it was for us. We used a Boba wrap (very similar to this) for nearly every occasion home and on the road for the first two years of his life. This time around, I decided to try this sling from Neotech Care as it's a more breathable fabric and will be lighter for babe and I during the hot summer months when he's still tiny and I'll want to keep him extra close. I also have a Wild Bird ring sling which I am SO excited to use! The design I have is no longer available but they have so many beautiful slings available, any mama would love to have one I'm sure!

Sunny - Pattern

Multi-Use Nursing Cover



I've used a few different nursing covers in the past. The one issue with all of them is that none provided full coverage, all the way around. When I'm home, I typically don't cover to nurse but, I feel more comfortable in public being covered, depending on who's around. Sometimes, baby would be nursing away and then suddenly want a peek at what's going on around us and lift the cover for all to see... Yea.  A cover like this one is the perfect solution. It goes over your head so it's full coverage. And it can also be used as a car seat/shopping cart cover which is amazing. There's lots of options and color patterns out there, depending on what you're looking for, but Amazon has some great options at very affordable price points.

Nursing Gowns for Mama

Image result for nursing gown

If you plan to breastfeed your baby, nursing gowns are a must. I speak from about six years combined nursing experience that having something like this to sleep and lounge around the house in makes a huge difference in keeping your nursing journey stress free. Finding something super comfy and casual like this one is even better. I love that it's so cute you could even toss a jacket over it and be ready to leave the house. Win, win, win, win, win.

Sitz Baths



Being a homebirth mama, my midwife has always encouraged herb and sitz baths for recovery after birth. I can't even explain to you how beneficial they are. In those first few days/weeks when your body is just so tender and fragile, it feels incredible to be able to soak in a tub of amazing, natural goodness that you know is doing your body good. These sitz bath salts from Recovery Ritual look like they'd be a great brand to try out and use even through those first postpartum months as your body is adjusting and changing in new ways.

I hope you've found some inspiration and guidance as to what you really need after having a baby. From those days filled with newborn goodness to the months of more change and adjustment, it's all such a sacred time that you really can't get back. I would much rather do my best to be prepared and soak it all in than to add the worry of not having all that you need (or having too many unnecessary items) on top of everything you're already dealing with. Above all, a wonderful support system and confidence in your instincts as a mama are key to the success of your postpartum journey. Don't second guess yourself and, if you feel uneasy about it, there's probably a reason. You've got this mama! If you think of anything that should be added to this list, please let me know! I pray you all have a wonderful week and, if you're pregnant or loving on a newly birthed babe, congratulations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment