Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Summer's End







Life has a funny way of changing you as you get older. I can remember my teenage self being so worried (every second of every day) about what people thought of me. Did they like my hair? My clothes? My personality? Was I thin enough or smart enough or popular enough? Did I laugh at the right times during conversations and was my smile pretty? Was I a part of all the right groups and circles and did I make it look like I didn't really care about any of it?... What I remember most though, was how exhausting it all was. To try to be someone, look like someone and act like someone who I reeeeaally was not. To push myself so far that I literally had no idea who I actually was. There honestly was no me. Just a shell of a girl interested in all the things everyone else was. 

Fast forward to where I am now, and it's almost painful to look back at where I had allowed myself to be. I know we all have regrets from those coming of age years but, how I wish I could go back and change some things. So many things.

I don't dwell there anymore though. The Lord has blessed my life immeasurably and I have learned not to take one single day of it for granted. I don't want to waste the time I'm given trying to fit in where I just, honestly, don't even want to be. He's given me grace in those areas and I am so so thankful for it.

I've really started coming around to these truths over the past year or so. (About time, huh?) Most of us don't know how long we have to live this life we've been given. We have no clue when we'll see our loved ones for the last time, eat our last meal, hold our children for the last time or give them one last kiss goodnight. It's all a mystery to us. So I've been working hard to be diligent and intentional with the time I've been given. With my husband, my children, my family and friends. To make the memories I want to make and really treasure all of the special, mundane moments amidst the big ones. I just don't want to miss it.

Something else I'm learning is to really embrace who I was created to be. The wife, mama, daughter and friend. God made me with a purpose and a plan and who am I to put Him in box because of what the world says... 

Part of having my own identity is having my own style. I don't mean to sound shallow or conceited. My point is, no matter what I have in my life, I want it to be there because there was a desire for it in MY heart. Not because I saw it in someone else's highlight reel or "must have" list. 

All of this brings me back to the song by Colby Callait that talks about insecurities. 

You don't have to try so hard
You don't have to, give it all away
You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up
You don't have to change a single thing
You don't have to try, try, try, try
You don't have to try, try, try, try
You don't have to try, try, try, try
You don't have to try
You don't have to try

Isn't it such a relief to know that the only person you have to please is yourself? For me, it is. Yes I want to be kind and respectful of those around me but, if they don't like me then, that's on them. It's nothing I've done or haven't done and I shouldn't worry myself to death working for their idea of perfect. I need only concern myself with my Creator and what pleases Him about me. And I love that.

So, who are you working for today? Is it for someone who really doesn't even deserve your time? Someone who wouldn't even notice if you weren't there? Or it it for a God who loves you for you and only asks you to obtain your full potential through Him?.. I pray I'm striving for the latter. 

Summer is coming to an end and we're right on the brink of my absolute favorite season of the year. I cannot wait for fall!! Have a really great day friends. I pray it's fulfilling and wonderful in a way that you haven't experienced in a very long time. God bless and thanks for stopping by! Outfit deets below!


| OUTFIT DETAILS |

DRESS | Old Navy (thrifted, similar here)
HEELS | Target
PURSE | Walmart
EARRINGS | Nickel & Suede (size large)

No comments:

Post a Comment