Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Style : Shift Dress Love





Dress : made by me // Purse : thrifted // Shoes : Madden Girl (thrifted) // bracelets : thrifted

Total Cost : $13.50

One of my recent loves in fashion is the shift dress. Not too formal, not too casual and they can be as feminine or tom-boyish as you like. Especially when you make them yourself. I so admire Merrick's Art and all of her amazing tutorials for super simple sewing projects. She takes what could be a difficult idea to wrap your brain around and simplifies it so you just breeze through the steps. So quickly so that I always find myself searching for more fabric so I can make another! If you haven't checked out her blog, do it. Her modest style and modern outfits are so inspiring for today's Christian woman. Another great blogger to follow is Leanne at elle apparel. Coincidentally, they are close friends and have some of the greatest instagram feeds. (And they have a HUGE project they just released for the modern seamstress!! Check out their blogs for more info)

I took the inspiration for this dress from Merrick and absolutely love how it turned out! You can find her tutorial here. I changed it up a bit so it wasn't so flowy/poofy. Because I'm a bit curvier than Merrick (especially with my bump), and I needed something that would be flexible for different occasions. You could switch up the fabric for a more casual dress or find something with laser cutouts or embroidery for an even dressier effect. I will definitely be making more after baby is here! The pale green I chose is great for Sunday morning church, an Easter egg hunt with the family or a day with the girls.  And it worked perfectly with the boys' green suspenders for Mother's Day this year!

I am in love with how this dress turned out and I cannot wait to get lots of wear out of it this summer and post baby! Plus, it looks pretty cute with a baby bump dontcha think! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment