Thursday, January 21, 2016

DIY Geometric Pillow

Being a SAHM, I'm always looking for ways to keep our home looking fresh and modern. We are home so much for school and everyday tasks, and since we rarely leave the house more than a couple times a week, I feel like I'm always redecorating, rearranging, moving this here or that there. Always trying to avoid a stale looking room. Really, it's loads of fun. But, I do hate feeling like a space is never finished. So, I love it when I find a great addition to our home that I know I'll be keeping around for the long haul.

Pieces like a neutral throw, a cozy rug, that perfect piece of framed art, a stylish lamp and throw pillows with a clean, modern design. I want our home to be inviting, friendly, cozy and inspiring while still being suitable for real life. When I find pillows I love though, they usually come with a price tag I just can't seem to stomach. Ugh. That's when I turn to my love of sewing. Something as easy as a simple pillow can be completed in no time at all and is lots of fun to put together. Especially when you have a few different steps like I had with these.

First, I found some inspiration online for what I wanted them to look like. Then, after purchasing some solid white fabric and a couple of inserts, all I had to do was grab a paintbrush and begin.



I cut my pieces 19 inches square. Since my inserts were 18" x 18", this gave me just enough room around the edges for a 1/2" seam and a little room to move. After ironing out the wrinkles, I was ready to begin.



My first step for this DIY was making a pattern to go off of for the design on the front of the pillows. I simply took a piece of printer paper, marked the center of the top, bottom and sides and cut it into a diamond shape. I then  measured out a slightly smaller diamond in the center of the page. So I had a pattern like this to work with.



I got a big piece of cardboard, my two plain white fabric pieces, a brush and fabric paint and set to work. I put my pattern underneath the fabric and made brush strokes up and down to give it a "fur" look.  After going all the way around both diamonds in my pattern, I moved my piece around until I had covered the entire area with offsetting diamonds. 



I let my paint dry overnight. The next morning, putting the right sides together, I sewed a seam on three sides of  the pillow cover pieces, leaving the bottom seam open for my insert. After stuffing it inside, I simply folded the ends into each other and sewed it up in a nice, slow, straight stitch. I used white thread so there wouldn't be any attention drawn to the seam and they turned out perfectly.



I love how they fit into our living room and am already feeling closer to getting it completely finished (it's only taken two years lol). How do you keep your home looking fresh, especially after putting away holiday decor? 

|| Living Room Details ||

Other Throw Pillows :
Better Homes and Gardens Rosette 18" Knife Edge Ivory Decorative PillowMainstays Suede Brownstone Decorative Pillow

Similar Throw Blankets : 

Similar Couches :
Jitter Bug Sofa

Similar lamps :

 Axis 25-in 3-Way Dark Iron Indoor Table Lamp with Fabric ShadeKenroy Home Globus 26-in 3-Way Oil-Rubbed Bronze Table Lamp with Fabric Shade

No comments:

Post a Comment