Monday, January 8, 2018

Tyler Turns Two | Pirate Party


Our sweet Tyler turned two years old last October. (mom of the year award for posting in a timely manner lol) He is the most darling two year old I've ever had (Which is saying a lot because the other boys were SO sweet as well!) and I thank the Lord everyday that I get to be his mommy.

I put a lot of thought into how I wanted his party to be so, I decided it may be a good idea to share it here for anyone else thinking of using an ocean/pirate/beach theme for an upcoming birthday. I really psyched myself out about the cake. I found one I loved on Pinterest and then worried and worried about how on earth I was going to pull it off. I always bake the cakes for our family's birthday celebrations and I tend to go a little over the top sometimes (just a smidge..). When I saw this one though, I knew it would be perfect! So I decided to give it my all and see what happened. lol

I used the recipe I always use for a rich butter cream cake from scratch (seriously, it's AMAZING) and had just enough left over to bake a mini coordinating cake as well. It turned out so cute! The crab is made of pre-made fondant icing that I molded and the "sand" is really just crushed up graham crackers. If you look closely, you can count the crab's legs and there are actually only six, as opposed to the eight that a REAL crab has.... (yea, I didn't think to pay attention to that part haha). Ah well. It was delicious and, honestly, no one even noticed! That or they just didn't think to mention it to me.. lol

I wanted to include some of those candy "gold coins" as Pirate's gold but, didn't think about it til the last minute so, I had to go with what I could find. Rollos it was! And they worked just as well. I also had whoppers as cannon balls and goldfish as fish bait. There were pirate eye patches for each of the kids and a card to help you figure out your own pirate name! That was a big hit and super fun to do. 

I reused the "Happy Birthday" balloons from his First Birthday Party (you can read that post here) and had to refill a few of them a dozen or so times. Soooo, unfortunately, they won't last through another party. But, they were worth the six bucks I paid for them back in 2016, for sure!

I used a few of my favorite shells we found while on vacation in Myrtle Beach a month before and they worked perfectly to up the ascetics. That and some clear glass bottles I've had lying around forever. Who knew such things could double as party decor?!

Anyway, it was a super fun party and I wanted to get it on the books before I forgot all that went into planning it. Also note that in a few of the pictures below you'll see the puppy Tyler got from my Aunt and Uncle. He opened it and just SQUEALED with excitement! It's now his very favorite toy and he sleeps with it nightly. Who knew? :)   


 








 









I promise, he really was having a good time! This was his "fake smile" phase. hahahaha 



Also, here is his invitation that I made using Photoshop Elements 13 and a few free clipart images from google. I thought it turned out SO cute!


| PINS THAT I FOUND HELPFUL WHEN PLANNING THE PARTY |


| LINKS TO SIMILAR ITEMS I USED FOR DECOR |

No comments:

Post a Comment