Thursday, March 29, 2018

Drowning in Insecurities


Hey there mamas. I've been a bit hung up on this lately and, I thought that maybe the reason was because someone out there might need to hear about it. Is it just me or, are we more critical of ourselves than anyone else? Am I the only one who looks in the mirror, or at the world around me, and only sees MY flaws? The ways I fall short and the infinite things I need to change.. Do I sometimes think, "If I could only fix this or change that. Then, I would really, truly be happy with myself."? .. I don't think I'm alone here but, sometimes it feels that way.

You may look at me and see an optimistic, outgoing, happy mama who is never feeling down or pressed for joy. You may think I wake up in the morning and immediately greet my children with a smile and a warm remark and our days are filled with sweet memories and productivity simultaneously. That I always have it all together and I never lose it on my kids, my husband or myself.

You may wake up in the morning and all you can think is how your pjs are too tight, you have no motivation to do anything and no one would care if you just stayed in your bed for the entire day. You can't get rid of that darn acne, your hair is still in that awkward growth stage and good grief, if you could just lose those five pounds, you could begin to see the brighter side of things.

Why does our happiness, our joy, our peace, have to revolve around all that junk..? Friends, I'm here to tell you that it absolutely, positively, in NO way has to. WE get to make the choice. WE have a chance to decide, each day, if we're going to be happy and content with our lives. To really look around and see all the things we've been so graciously blessed with. And, then, realize that our current situation has nothing to do with how we feel inside. You can't find peace in the things the world offers you. Whether it's clear skin, mermaid hair or lean legs. It just won't work.

I've been re-evaluating  my thought process lately and, I'm sorry to admit, I did use to focus a lot of my energy on those daunting things listed above. How I "felt" depended on how my hair turned out that day or if that pimple finally went away. But, where's the joy in that? How exhausting is it to determine our level of happiness and contentment based on all of the disappointing moments we experience? (Especially when it seems there are so many of them at times.) Very.

I pray that the Lord would help me to see my true worth in Him. I pray He would help me to really, truly believe that I am not the clothes that I wear or the way my hair turned out. The people that actually matter, the ones that truly love and value me for ME are not judging me by those things. They're really not. Just as I don't look at the lady next to me in the checkout line and instantly notice all the things she should do to better herself. I can almost guarantee that she has her own list of insecurities to worry about. She's not thinking about mine.

But, what if she is? Does that take away from my worth? Does that make me any less of a mother or wife or Christian? If my opinion of myself matters less than others opinions of me then, goodness, I'm in deep water.

Friends, I want you to know that YOU MATTER. You are beautiful and smart and you deserve so much more than what this world can offer you.

The truth in the Bible says that we don't have to fret about worldly things. We're not meant to be the most rich or influential person on Earth. God doesn't want us to beat each other down trying to reach the top first. And, we are certainly not created to all be the same. Uniqueness is amazing. A little scary at times. But, so so cool as well.

What if, instead of critiquing on another, we spent that energy lifting each other up? How much more wonderful a place would this world be?!

I know this is kind of "deep" conversation to have but, I just had it on my mind to share with you. Some friends and I were talking about insecurities and how we notice so much more within ourselves than anyone else ever does and it just got me thinking. How very true is that..

Can we do something together? Let's try to focus more on all of the things we LIKE about ourselves. Speak truth, kindness and love to yourself daily and just see what kind of a difference it makes in your thinking. I'm going to do it and, I hope you'll join me.

Have a wonderful end to your week friends!! We only have this one life to live, why not make the most of it!?!




No comments:

Post a Comment