Saturday, December 30, 2017

Intentional Living





Do you ever have conversations with close mama friends where you share those deep, intricate parts of yourself? The parts that you've only really revealed to those closest to you and try really hard to keep hidden from others, not because you want to come off as somehow being different than you are but, because you're just not super confident in how to show that side without sending people walking right back outta the room when they see you..? 

Joyful motherhood can be so hard some days. And then come so easily others. The highs and lows can be days, weeks, even months long or it can be mere moments between them. That's what makes it so very unpredictable. No matter how seasoned we are or how much we feel like we've got it all figured out, all it takes is one misstep to send it all crashing to the ground, if we let it. 

I had one of those hard moments yesterday evening with my boys. It started as something so small. So mundane and, silly really. Then turned into a half an hour long lecture and someone picking up the toys in the basement playroom all by themselves while I beat myself up until I felt like the cruddiest mom ever. . .

In the midst of the yelling and tantrums, I was reminded of a conversation I had with a couple of my besties a few days ago. I guess I come off as pretty quiet and reserved most of the time. With my family, friends and aquiantences alike. And, in most ways, I am a fairly quiet person. I don't like to make myself the center of attention and I'd just as soon let someone else take the spotlight if they'd like to. 

The thing is, I'm a pretty reserved mama as well. I love to "wear" my babies and snuggle my boys and give as much love and advice as they'll take from me but, I try really hard not to raise my voice or be too harsh with them. That doesn't mean I don't fail because I do so very often but, if I can, I like to keep my head about me and be super intentional about how I respond to things. Around our home, when we're at a friend's house and even when we're out in public. I try my best to be consistent and loving, even in the midst of discipline.

Back to our conversation, we were talking about areas where we each feel that we fail as moms and where we can strive to do better. We encouraged one another (these ladies are the absolute BEST at that) and then someone said that in a tough situation, they asked themselves what I would do.... Wha?? I know these mamas love me and see the best in me but, to hear that, really made me stop and listen. She looked up to me in that area? I was touched and humbled and it reminded me how often I am exactly what they both said they couldn't imagine me being. Frustrated, at my limit and feeling like the absolute worst version of myself. Yesterday's incident was exactly that, and I got so discouraged when I thought back to the day before and what my friends had said.

I hope I'm not coming off as this mom who is always put together, calm and in control. Because, the Lord knows, I'm not. No matter how much I really do try to govern my thoughts and actions, there are times when they get the best of me, just like anyone else. I really do want to do better though. In the coming days and into the new year, I pray that the Lord would help my mind to go to His word first. That I would be able to stop and think, to listen to what He is telling me in that situation and then be able to react in a way that would be pleasing to Him. In a way that will only confirm the things I'm doing my best to teach to my children. They're always, always watching. Even when we don't realize it.

So, as we go into this new beginning as mamas, wives, daughters, sisters and friends. Let's all encourage a little more and jump the gun a little less. I promise, you'll be so much happier when you don't let what's happening in the moment control how you treat your loved ones and yourself.

It's nearly the end of 2017!!! What has been your very favorite thing about this past year?! I'd love to hear what made it so great!



| OUTFIT DETAILS |

Sweater Dress | Old Navy (very similar one here)
Poncho | American Eagle (similar)
Blanket Scarf | thrifted wot (similar here)
OTK Boots | super similar here

No comments:

Post a Comment